Social Policy Writer and Researcher
A skilled writer with expertise in collaborative project management, grant writing and management. Confident public speaker, trusted facilitator and diplomatic negotiator.
PUBLICATIONS – Selected
|(2009) The road to sustainable transport? Rural transport programmes and policies in Ireland in J. McDonagh, T. Varley & S. Shortall (Eds.), A living countryside? The politics of sustainable development in rural Ireland. Aldershot: Ashgate
2nd edition of Catholic Women Speak. Contributing chapter. Publication date in 2018.
(2007) Hardlines: The History of the Emery Waterhouse Company – Research
|Irish Social Science Research Council 2011
Dormant Accounts Fund in Ireland. Yearly for 300-500k euro annually
Department of Agriculture – building grant for 3 million
Dept. of Agriculture – operations grant for 100,00 euro
Dept. of Local Government – Operating/Salary
HUD – Lead Hazard Control & Healthy Homes. Grant management & reporting based on NOFA
Shelterforce – Publication for Autumn 2017
Bangor Daily News – Op-Ed
TheJournal.ie – Columnist
The Irish Times – Health Section Cover
|Toxic Sludge in Maine – Research
Tralee Quality of Life Index Report
Review of Traveller Education Initiative
Part-Time Faculty in Social Work at the University of Southern Maine
Program Manager at the City of Portland (2016-2017)
- Grant management all stages of $1.8 million HUD grant and budget for Cumberland County.
- Developing marketing and communication plan targeting diverse audiences. Writing website content, press releases, policy documents and public official updates.
Program Manager at Kerry County Council, Ireland (2008-2013)
Managed the Tralee RAPID (Revitalizing Areas through Planning, Investment & Development) on behalf of an Irish government department with the purpose of improving social service delivery and employment-generating supports in three public housing neighborhoods in County Kerry.
- Managed internal and external communications, public relations and grant writing for 12 agencies.
- Represented Kerry County Council and RAPID locally and nationally with politicians, government officials, residents, and local business and community
- Wrote content for evaluation, monitoring and policy reports, newsletters, speeches, presentations and local press
- Responsible for program development and finances (including large portions of a €80 million regeneration development).
Writer and Editor at Boundless Learning (2015-2016)
- Wrote public speaking course content and assessments for digital university clients.
Grant Writer & Consultant in Kerry, Ireland (2008)
- Wrote client proposals, developed advocacy training and researched methods to increase community participation in public policy.
Social Policy Manager at Kerry County Development Board (2007-2008)
- Researched, wrote and edited policy documents and grant applications for the Social Inclusion Measures Work Group (25 members).
Policy Writer at Galway County Council (2006-2007)
- Designed quantitative and qualitative research tools for data collection on transport needs in two ‘disadvantaged’ (government designation) towns in Co. Galway for the local government.
Stonecoast, Master of Fine Arts in Creative Nonfiction
National University Ireland, Galway Master of Arts in Community Development (First Class Honors)
Tufts University Bachelor of Arts in Political Science
The Op Ed Project “Write to Change the World” Seminar